Homilies for the hurried. Meaningful metaphors for the person on the run.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

“I GET TO SEE MY DADDY”

“Grandchildren.” Got your attention didn’t I. That title has such a soft touch to it. Maybe it’s because if you are a grandparent you know that is exactly what you have become…a soft touch. Words like “time out,” “stop that,” “don’t touch that” and “no” rarely pass through your lips. They just seem inappropriate when you only have temporary custody. Why ruin the time you have with them with strict and strenuous standards. I know this sounds like I border on neglect, but I just find it hard to make my time with “the boys” unfun!

Saturday, June 18th, 2011 was the day before Father’s Day. It was also the day that my wife and I became true empty nesters. The oldest is settled in Colorado, the youngest is now living year round at the University in West Virginia. The middle daughter was the only one left within 15 minutes of our homestead. Now she was fleeing the nation’s capitol for the scorching heat of San Antonio so her husband can complete his residency. One problem…she was taking “the boys” with her, presently our only two grandchildren, Declan (3) and Grady (6 months), better known as “THE DEC MAN” AND “MR. GRADY MC’GRADY”.

We have known this day was coming since early December last year, but it was so far away, it didn’t seem necessary to be concerned about them leaving. We had bigger fish to fry, help get their house ready for sale, prepare for their daddy’s graduation, entertain guests the weekend he walked the stage and do all the fun things they were going to miss when they were gone. There were trips to the zoo, rides over the big big bridge, road trips to our favorite sub shop, walks to the playground, swimming at the pool up the street, cracking Alaskan king crab on the deck, (Dec Man’s favorite) and Smores over the fire pit.

Word came in May they would have to vacate their home early so that the tenants could occupy on May first and Daddy would have to go to Texas two weeks ahead of the rest of the family. My daughter asked “Dad, can we just live with you and mom for 6 weeks?” To which I responded immediately “you betcha,” not a quiver not a waver…that would be perfect. Six weeks of camping out with “the boys.” This was going to be heaven. And it was. Eventually Decman and I became wrestling partners, Stanley cup fans, snack sneakers, TOP CHEFS, mutual lovers of Hot Wheels, and care takers of Mr. Grady Mc’Grady. It was during this time that Grady got his first teeth and started army crawling into our world. He too loved the Stanly cup. They both wanted Bancoovy (Vancouver) to win and eventually they won me over from the Bruins.

The closing of the day became my favorite time. “Hey Pop Pop, can we watch a show?” “Sure” was always my response. Can we watch the “CHICKMUNKS?” Absolutely. “Can we get a snack? I think we still have some ice cream sandwiches with beans (M&M’s) in them.” Yes, yes, and again I say yes!.” I have seen the “CHICKMUNKS CHRISTMAS” more than I care to admit and had way too much ice cream (beans never tasted so good).

The day for them to leave was now here. I always told myself.. ”remember…you raised them to leave…not to cleave. Don’t make this difficult; don’t spoil their departure by stifling their dreams.” Decman and I stood by the window as we stared at the plane that would be flying them deep into the heart of Texas. They were loading the luggage, pumping in fresh air and you could see the pilots in the cockpit. We didn’t say much. He had just asked a few questions when suddenly we heard “we are now boarding parents with small children.” The moment had arrived, we walked to the gate, stooped down by Grady’s car seat as I said what I always say…”Look me straight in the eyes…I love you.” To which I got a gift straight from God. Declan responded, “I love you too Pop Pop, NOW I GET TO SEE MY DADDY.” THEY’LL BE FINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers